Ocean Shipping in Washington, DC
Do you have items you need to ship overseas? For more than 30 years, Platinum Moving Services has been shipping items via ocean containers so you get your things where they need to go.
We can do it all for you—from packing your items to loading them into a shipping container, taking it to port, and having the items delivered to their destination once they make it ashore. Want to learn more about our over-seas shipping service? Simply give us a call to learn more!
Contact Platinum today for a free ocean shipping quote.
Is Ocean Shipping Right for You?
There are several reasons why shipping goods via ocean may be the right choice for you:
- Typically, shipping via ocean will cost you less than shipping via air. In some cases that may not be true, but most of the time you will save money overall when you use an ocean container rather than air freight.
- Ocean containers come in large sizes (see below) and therefore can likely hold your entire household’s items in one shipment.
- Shipping via sea is often the most practical and cost-effective way to get your items abroad if you are moving to another country.
About Our Ocean Containers
Ocean containers come in three sizes:
- 20-ft – 1150 cubic feet volume
- 40-ft – 2300 cubic feet volume
- 40-ft High Cube – 2600 cubic feet volume
Keep in mind, total volume is not the same as usable space. When filling an ocean container, there will always be unused space, especially toward the top of the container. Losses of 10 to 15 percent in useable volume can be expected when packing a container with boxes and odd shaped household goods and personal effects. For this reason, we try to be conservative with our calculations to avoid costly mistakes. No one wants to find out on moving day that their items won’t fit into the shipping container they reserved! Therefore, we calculate ocean container space in the following way:
- 20-ft – No more than 1000 cubic feet of capacity (a two- or three-bedroom apartment)
- 40-ft – Between 2000 and 2100 cubic feet of capacity (a three- or four-bedroom home)
- 40-ft High Cube – About 2300 cubic feet of capacity (a very large house)
Platinum Moving provides free on-site surveys (an in-person estimate of your moving costs) to determine which size ocean container you need. If you need more information on ocean containers, contact us today.
Container Shipping Service from DC
To ship via ocean, we will first properly crate your items so they can be loaded into a sea container. Our full ocean shipping service also includes:
- Taking an inventory of your items.
- Booking the vessel to destination.
- Arranging for pickup and delivery of the sea container to your home.
- Loading the container and sealing it with a lock and numbered metal seal.
- Processing all documentation (Bill of Lading, Export Declaration, and other documents).
- Delivering the full container to port.
- Arranging for destination services with a reputable shipping agent in the destination country. At Platinum, all of the agents we work with belong to the prestigious International Association of Movers (IAM), of which we are also members.
About Platinum Moving Services, Inc.
Shipping items via ocean can be a complicated procedure. At Platinum Moving Services, we have been shipping to worldwide destinations for more than 30 years, so you can rest assured that your overseas shipment is in capable hands.
Platinum Moving Services is a locally owned moving company located in Gaithersburg, Maryland. For years, we have worked with both home and business owners throughout Maryland, including Baltimore. Whether you are moving to California, New York, Florida, or 20 minutes down the road, our moving services can get you there.
To get a FREE quote, contact us online or give us a call!
Start Your Free Quote
“Platinum takes professional to a whole new level!”
“Platinum moving made an extraordinary showing of moving me from DC to Mexico City, Mexico. I was somewhat focused as this was the primary worldwide move that I needed to orchestrate all alone as I had been fortunate to have the USG move me all my past times. I had a tight window, a couple of weeks in which to arrange the move. Platinum was extraordinary in working with me to plan the review rapidly and the resulting pack-out. The group they had for me was obliging, proficient, and fast. There was somewhat of a postponement in the entry of the holder from Baltimore, MD because of a mishap and activity that day yet that was minor considering everything by and large. They additionally combined me with an incredible organization in Mexico, called Balderas. There were just a couple of days postponement at the traditions/port in Veracruz before my stuff landed at my new able in Mexico City. Generally, thanks such a great amount to Platinum and Balderas for making the move easily on their parts.”
ABOUT OUR WHITE GLOVE SERVICE
With 30+ years in the moving & shipping business, Platinum has done it all—and done it exceptionally well. Even the Smithsonian raves about us!