The big day is almost here! In the last week before you move, you need to make sure EVERYTHING is out of your house – either sold, donated or packed up and ready to move! This is also a good time to give out your contact information to friends, family and others so you can keep in touch after the move. Part three of our international moving checklist will help you keep all those last minute details in order so you don’t have to scramble in the last few days.
International Moving Checklist – 7 Days Before
- Clean things like bicycles, garden tools, etc. Empty any tanks of combustible items such as gasoline and paint.
- Sell or donate anything that you will not be taking with you on your move.
Give out your new contact information
- Give your contact info to your friends, family and anyone else with whom you interact regularly.
- Reconfirm your moving dates with the moving company. Make sure you have their address in your destination country as well.
Begin packing your luggage
- Make necessary arrangements for children during the packing and loading operations.
- Add adapters and transformers to your shipment so you can be sure all of your electrical appliances and electronics will work.
- Make an inventory list of what you are packing as you pack so you can check things off when you arrive.
International Moving Checklist – 2 Days Before
Take care of ALL last minute details
- Prepare your luggage, taking into account the weather in your new country.
- Sort your luggage by destination or method of transportation and use stickers to denote this.
- Start dismantling furniture and taking curtains, light fixtures and pictures off the walls.
- Clean and dry all kitchen appliances so no mildew grows on them during shipping. Disconnect and cover naked wires as necessary.
International Moving Checklist – Moving day!
- Put away all important documents and all articles of value, including passports, plane tickets, cash, addresses, etc. so they will not accidentally get packed.
- Go around with the packing crew foreman and point out everything you have that needs to be packed.
- Before you leave, go around one more time and make sure nothing was left behind.
- Hop on a plane and get ready to start a new life. Congratulations!
Once you have completed all of the above steps, it’s time to sit back and enjoy the flight to your new country. Moving internationally is a very exciting time, but the procedures leading up to it can be stressful. We hope that our international moving checklist has been useful in helping you straighten out the details of your move so that the hard part can go as smoothly as possible. If you are in the process of moving internationally (or if you are just starting to think about it), call Platinum Moving. We have helped people from all over the Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC area have successful and stress free moves.