It’s a big task to move all your belongings from one place to another. One way to make the process a little less stressful is by going through everything ahead of time to get rid of the things you don’t need. When you’re moving, you’ll be thankful you don’t have all that extra stuff.
Get Rid of These Items
An easy way to start is by determining what items you don’t need. We all have items we barely use or could live without, but taking the time to get rid of these items is the hard part. The following items are a good place to start when you begin to purge.
- Clothes you barely wear. You know those shirts you think you’ll wear or the pants that don’t quite fit? Get rid of them. If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing in over a year, you don’t need it.
- Décor. One of the most exciting parts about moving is decorating your new home. If you’re planning on redecorating, you don’t have to take your old décor items with you.
- Books. Books are heavy and take up a lot of room. And once you’ve read a book, you don’t usually use it again. Moving is a perfect time to purge your bookshelf, keeping only your absolute favorites and books you do use.
- Glassware. Chances are you probably have some mismatched cups. Decide which ones you want, and give away the rest.
How to Handle the Rest of the House
Now that you’ve taken care of specific items, it’s time to go through the rest of the house.
- Start with one room at a time. Finish that room completely before you move to the next. This will ensure you make it through all of your belongings and don’t miss anything.
- Place items into four separate piles: keep, donate, sell, and throw away. Once you’ve finished a room, revisit the piles. You probably kept more items than you thought you would. Take one more pass through and try to purge any items you’re on the fence about.
It’s a great idea to ship items you’ve decide to keep, even large items like pianos, dressers, tables, etc. If you have more things than you’re able to move or that will fit into your new home, storage is an ideal option, too.
Leave the Rest to Platinum Moving Services
You’ll be less stressed after you’ve gotten rid of some of your belongings. Not only will you have fewer items to move, but also you’ll feel better with less clutter.
And with purging out of the way, if you live in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Virginia, you can leave the rest to Platinum Moving Services. We’ll pack your items carefully, ship them, and even unpack for you. We’ll coordinate every detail with our hassle-free moving services. Contact us today for a customizable moving plan!