How to Prepare Your Vehicle for Shipping
Having a vehicle shipped across the country or to another continent requires going through certain actions in order to make sure your vehicle arrives safely at the other end. It isn’t difficult to get it ready, however, if you follow a few important steps.
1. Wash your car. This is important because you need to do a pre-shipping inspection for scratches, dents and other imperfections. In most cases, the shipper will be going through this inspection process with you but it doesn’t hurt to do an inspection yourself, complete with pictures taken from different angles.
2. Make sure all the fluids such as transmission fluid and oil are filled. This should be done a week before shipping in order to watch for any leaks. If leaks are found, have them repaired before shipment or allow the shipper to know so your car won’t be placed above another one.
3. Remove things that could get broken, such as spoilers and side windows. Retract the antenna if possible so it isn’t snapped accidentally. If there are parts that can be accidentally torn off and you can’t easily remove them, make sure they are affixed tightly to minimize any chances of damage.
4. Remove anything of value that can easily be removed, such as GPS systems, radios, and the like. These things are often not included in the insurance by the shipping company and damage won’t likely be covered.
5. Ensure your fuel level is somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 full. This allows enough fuel for loading and unloading your vehicle but not so much it adds unnecessary weight.
6. Disable your alarm system. This can create a problem if it is accidentally set off and the shipper is unable to silence it.
7. Remove all personal belongings. If the shipping truck is broken into, you don’t want to risk losing things that may be of value, give out private information, or cause any other issue.
8. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. By doing this, you make it easier to load and unload your vehicle without damaging the tires. Remember, it is just as dangerous to under-inflate your tires as it is to over-inflate them.
9. Lock your doors. Once your vehicle is loaded, it is not necessary for anyone to have access to the interior until it is ready to be unloaded at the other end.
10. Hire a reliable mover. If you live in the Washington, DC, Maryland or Northern Virginia area, contact Platinum Moving to transport your vehicle safely from one location to another.
Start Your Free Quote
“Platinum takes professional to a whole new level!”
“Platinum moving made an extraordinary showing of moving me from DC to Mexico City, Mexico. I was somewhat focused as this was the primary worldwide move that I needed to orchestrate all alone as I had been fortunate to have the USG move me all my past times. I had a tight window, a couple of weeks in which to arrange the move. Platinum was extraordinary in working with me to plan the review rapidly and the resulting pack-out. The group they had for me was obliging, proficient, and fast. There was somewhat of a postponement in the entry of the holder from Baltimore, MD because of a mishap and activity that day yet that was minor considering everything by and large. They additionally combined me with an incredible organization in Mexico, called Balderas. There were just a couple of days postponement at the traditions/port in Veracruz before my stuff landed at my new able in Mexico City. Generally, thanks such a great amount to Platinum and Balderas for making the move easily on their parts.”
ABOUT OUR WHITE GLOVE SERVICE
With 30+ years in the moving & shipping business, Platinum has done it all—and done it exceptionally well. Even the Smithsonian raves about us!