When You Have to Move Fast
You just found out you’re moving? In less than a month? No problem!
Yes, you read that right. As long as you take deep breaths and stay organized, you can pack and move your entire household in a short time period and stay sane while doing it.
Tips for a Quick Move
When you’ve got to be out quick, it’s crucial to streamline the process. After you’ve lined up an experienced, professional moving company, you want to get as organized as possible. An organized move makes for a speedier move!
First steps for a fast, organized move:
- Call a mover ASAP. One month before a domestic move is best; if it’s an international move, calling less than two months ahead may mean fewer available ocean freight spaces. Your international moving company should be able to work with you to find alternatives.
- Get three quotes. If one of them is much cheaper than the other two, discard it. Experience tells us that such a company might not do the best work. If one is considerably more expensive than the other two (more than 20 percent), find out why. A higher price may mean exceptional customer service, highly trained personnel, or additional services that are included, such as storage—all of which will be extremely helpful when you have to move quickly.
- Make a schedule and stick to it. Working back from your deadline (the day you have to be out of your place), map out when each step has to be done. This will help you feel less harried and put you in control of the situation.
Next steps to moving quickly:
- Start right now. This seems obvious, but you’d be surprised how easy it is to procrastinate, even when you know you don’t have a lot of time. Don’t waste a minute at the start of your move. You’ll thank yourself later!
- Gather your day-to-day essentials in one spot. Everything that you’ll need to use right up until moving day should be easily accessible—you won’t have to unpack any boxes to find that crucial item.
- Sort and discard. Take your quick move as an opportunity to PURGE. You will feel lighter and have less to move if you get rid of nonessentials. Accept that you are going to downsize, and then start sorting. The classic purge sort system is this: make three piles—keep, donate, toss. Be ruthless! Note: many quick movers give in to the temptation to pack everything now and sort it out later. This is a rookie mistake. Sort now!
- Group like items. This is prep work for your actual packing. Put boxes and packing supplies in each room, then start grouping and piling your belongings. Books, all in one spot. Office supplies, all together, and on and on. This makes packing much simpler.
- Pack like a pro. All the advance prep you’ve done should make this part very easy. Of course, it’s even easier to have Platinum pack for you.
Check out more tips for an organized move.
When you choose Platinum Moving Services to be your local, national, or international movers, your move will be handled with 100 percent precision and efficiency. We do everything we can to make your move as stress-free and convenient as possible. For more quick moving tips or questions about our moving services, contact Platinum Moving today!
Start Your Free Quote
“Platinum takes professional to a whole new level!”
“Platinum moving made an extraordinary showing of moving me from DC to Mexico City, Mexico. I was somewhat focused as this was the primary worldwide move that I needed to orchestrate all alone as I had been fortunate to have the USG move me all my past times. I had a tight window, a couple of weeks in which to arrange the move. Platinum was extraordinary in working with me to plan the review rapidly and the resulting pack-out. The group they had for me was obliging, proficient, and fast. There was somewhat of a postponement in the entry of the holder from Baltimore, MD because of a mishap and activity that day yet that was minor considering everything by and large. They additionally combined me with an incredible organization in Mexico, called Balderas. There were just a couple of days postponement at the traditions/port in Veracruz before my stuff landed at my new able in Mexico City. Generally, thanks such a great amount to Platinum and Balderas for making the move easily on their parts.”
ABOUT OUR WHITE GLOVE SERVICE
With 30+ years in the moving & shipping business, Platinum has done it all—and done it exceptionally well. Even the Smithsonian raves about us!