Tips for Moving Overseas
Moving overseas from Washington D.C., Maryland or Virginia can be a busy and stressful experience. Before letting yourself get too overwhelmed, start early and use this moving checklist to stay on top of your international move “to dos.”
- Budget Your International Move. Moving anywhere, let alone internationally, can be very expensive. Before you move, ,make sure that you have calculated the approximate cost of your moving expenses so that you are not caught off guard by overseas shipping and moving costs, including money to cover the safe relocation of all your belongings, your own means of transportation to the new country and extra costs of living in the new country during those first few months you are getting settled.
- Check Benefits. If you are currently employed, check to see if your benefits change as a result of moving overseas and what actions you need to take prior to your overseas move.
- Healthcare. If you’re moving to a new country, make sure you have health care coverage through your employer or individual coverage. If you need special medication for a medical condition, make the arrangements prior to leaving. Finally, check to see if the country you are moving to requires certain vaccinations.
- Home & Utilities. If you own your home, decide whether you want to keep your home, rent your house or sell it. Also, make arrangements with your utility company so you are not being billed while you’re not occupying the residence. Talk to an agent overseas to help you find a new home in a safe area.
- Employment. If you are looking for a new job when you relocate, start before you leave. Research job openings on the internet and apply to several places so before your overseas relocation.
- Language. Depending on where you are moving overseas, there is a possibility you may not know the language. Study the new language before and after your international move so you can easily communicate with people there.
- Insurance. Make sure your belongings are ensured so that you are covered during and after you international move.
- Paperwork. Make sure you gather all important paperwork and take it with you during your overseas move. This includes birth certificates, passports, social security cards, wedding licenses, etc. You never know when you will need to present the paperwork in the new country, and it is better to have it with you than to wait for someone in the United States to find it and send it to you overseas.
- Finances. If you are moving to a new country, you need to inform your bank and credit card company of your move. This way you can cancel your cards or make sure that you can use the cards with the new currency. Also, depending on how long you will be overseas, you may want to find a bank overseas for your money transactions.
- Communication. If you are moving to a new country, make sure you don’t forget about keeping in touch with your friends and family back home! In today’s world, you have a variety of options to communicate internationally. You can use email and Skype, upgrade your current cell phone plan to an international plan or buy a cell phone in your new country. Many countries have “pay as you go” plans, making it easy to get a phone without being locked into a long-term financial commitment.
If you’re looking for a reliable international moving company for your move to another country, contact Platinum Moving in Gaithersburg, Maryland (MD).
Start Your Free Quote
“Platinum takes professional to a whole new level!”
“Platinum moving made an extraordinary showing of moving me from DC to Mexico City, Mexico. I was somewhat focused as this was the primary worldwide move that I needed to orchestrate all alone as I had been fortunate to have the USG move me all my past times. I had a tight window, a couple of weeks in which to arrange the move. Platinum was extraordinary in working with me to plan the review rapidly and the resulting pack-out. The group they had for me was obliging, proficient, and fast. There was somewhat of a postponement in the entry of the holder from Baltimore, MD because of a mishap and activity that day yet that was minor considering everything by and large. They additionally combined me with an incredible organization in Mexico, called Balderas. There were just a couple of days postponement at the traditions/port in Veracruz before my stuff landed at my new able in Mexico City. Generally, thanks such a great amount to Platinum and Balderas for making the move easily on their parts.”
ABOUT OUR WHITE GLOVE SERVICE
With 30+ years in the moving & shipping business, Platinum has done it all—and done it exceptionally well. Even the Smithsonian raves about us!